pudding cuisine is known almost all over the world. But its recipe is variations in different countries. We are going to talk about Shir Berenj here, which is common in Iran, Tajikistan, and Afghanistan. As its name tells us the main ingredients, which are as simple as you can’t believe it. There are just two main ingredients in its recipe. They are rice and milk. These two simple parts make a delicious dish that could be served both dessert and main meal. This dessert is not very sweet. Instead of the ingredients that Iranians serve next to it, sweeten it. Its simple appearance, light texture with white color, and also adorned top makes it so detective, and no one can stop eating it. As I mentioned above, sometimes, this dish is served as a meal for breakfast, light dinner, or evening snack and sometimes as a dessert in some parties, especially in the Ramadan Iftar party.
Different types of Shir Berenj:
As we said before, Shir Berenj is a kind of rice pudding. There are many kinds of rice pudding cuisine that come from all over Asia that rice is the main ingredient in all of them. But some small changes in the material make their taste variation while their texture and appearance are similar to each other. Som of them is sweeter than others. Cinnamon, cardamom, rose water, nuts, and sugar is the primary material which makes utterly different taste. So, according to the recipe and this variation in taste, we can name these puddings. We have Shole Zard, Shir Berenj, Porridge, Dudhapak (Indian dessert), Tsamporado (chocolate rice pudding from Philippine), Thai (banana rice pudding), Patchaiko( Hongkong pudding), Pulut hitman ( pudding from Malaysian), Kheer (Indian subcontinent) and so on.
Important Nutrition facts of Shir Berenj:
Shir Berenj is rich in nutrition. It is an energy producer meal because of its notable amount of rice and milk in the recipe. Moreover, it has a high calorie with 129.4 kcal per 100gr. It is also an excellent source of carbohydrate, proteins, minerals, and vitamins. The number of minerals and vitamins is remarkable, with calcium 12.6% per 100gr, phosphorus 11.3% per 100gr, manganese 31.4% per 100gr, sodium 43.3mgr per 100gr, potassium 180mg per 100gr. But it can be harmful to some diseases, especially for people with diabetes and people with high cholesterol in the blood.
If you are a vegetarian and you want to try and taste Shir Berenj, we can say that the ingredients of this dish are suitable and valuable for a vegetarian diet. The only material which a vegan can make sharp is its milk that can be easily replaced with pure water. Of course, this change can reduce its value and quality and influence its flavor and taste. Because milk is one of the main ingredients, but the feeling of its spice can hide this change in taste to some extend.
Serving style of Shir Berenj:
Shir Berenj is served both as a dessert and as a meal for breakfast and evening meal. It needs a sweetener along with it. This sweetener can be sugar, brown sugar, honey, fruit jam, or syrups. If you decorate the top with Damask rose petals or its powder, cinnamon powder, and slices of nuts liked pistachios and Almond, it would be charming, and nobody can stop eating.
What are the ingredients of Shir Berenj?
The ingredients of Shir Berenj is so simple. They are rice and milk. The type of rice used in cooking Shir Berenj is the short grain of white rice. But we can also use other types of rice like the long grain, broken rice, Jasmin and basmati white rice. It is preferably better to use whole milk in cooking Shir Berenj. But you can use coconut milk, cream or evaporated milk, too. Other ingredients that you can use in this recipe, according to your taste, are spices like salt, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg and ginger, and flavorings like vanilla, rosewater, orange, Almond, cashew, raisin, slices of nuts like pistachio and walnut. You can use some butter to make it smooth. A sweetener is usually used with this dessert-like sugar, honey, syrups, and fruit jams. Some ingredients are also used for topping like Damask rose petals and its powder, cinnamon powder, and slices of nuts.
Cooking process of Shir Berenj:
this sweet dish recipe is unmixed and easy. You need 30 mins to prepare them. At first, you need to soak the rice and cook it. Then you should add its milk and flavoring and let it cook for a few more minutes to thicken. All the process of cooking needs almost 30 minutes. Finely you pour it to small bowls and allow it to cool in room temperature. At the end step, you refrigerate them for at least 1-2 hours to chill before serving it. After chilling garnish the top with cinnamon powder, Damask rose petals or whatever you like and serve it for your guests.
This recipe is adequate for four people. The preparation time is about 30 minutes, and the cooking time is one hour.
- 1 cup of rice
- 2 cup of water
- 3 cup of milk
- ½ cup rosewater
- 1.8 lb butter
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon sugar (if you like it sweeter add more sugar)
- cardamon, Damaske rose petals or powder, a slice of nuts required enough
- wash the rice several times until it runs clear entirely.
- soak the rice for 30 min with hot water.
- pour the rice in a suitable size pot and add 2 cups water and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- put your pot above the stove on a medium flame.
- let it boil and simmer until its water absorbed and check the rice to see if it softens and has fallen apart. It almost lasts 30 min.
- add 3 cups of milk, two tablespoon sugar, 1.8 lb butter, and 1/2 rosewater and let it cook for another 20 min until it thickens. (if you like it sweeter add twice more sugar)
- ladle it into a suitable container.
- let it cool at room temperature.
- after cooling, garnish and decorate the top with cardamon powder, Damaske rose petals or powder, a slice of nuts, and whatever you taste.
- refrigerate your dessert for 1-2 hours to chill before serving it.
- serve it for your guests an help yourself.
- This dish can be served both hot and cold. If you want to serve it as a dessert, the cool one is better.
- If you're going to have it as a meal, the hot one would be pleasant.
- Using milk with a higher amount of fat can make a more delicious Shir Berenj.