Olivieh Salad (Olovieh Salad, Olivier Salad, Oloviyeh Salad,سالاد الویه) is a famous international salad that has paved its way to Persian cuisine since the past century. In Latin America, it is known as Russian salad. Olivieh Salad was first originated by a Belge chef, Lucien Olivier in Moscow in 1986. Russians serve it on new year’s eve as a traditional dish.
In Iran, it became viral soon. Nowadays Iranians make this salad as the primary food, appetizer, brunch, or as finger food in parties. There are also canned Oliviehs available in the market these days.
You can find Olivier Salad in most of the fancy restaurants or simply fast-food restaurants. In Iran, it is typical to serve Olivieh Salad with bread, especially french baguettes and make an Olivieh sandwich. It is an excellent choice for picnics and workplace lunch.
It is not an official food, and you cannot find it at weddings or funerals. Nonetheless, it is one of the favorable Nazris (charity & ritual catering ) in Iran.
Different types of Olivieh Salad:
We can have three different kinds of Olivieh depend on the kind of meat we use in ingredients. Olivieh Morgh which contains only chicken as the meat. Olivieh Kalbas which includes lunch meat instead of chicken. Finally, Olivier Morgh o Kalbas which includes both.
Olivieh Salad Nutrition facts:
Olivieh Salad has 162 Kcal per 100 gr. Of course, you should add the calorie of bread to it.
Because of potatoes, it is an excellent source of carbohydrates with 14% complex carbohydrates per serving. It contains a notable amount of water. It is an excellent source of vitamin B4 and some minerals such as potassium, phosphor and sodium.
For a vegetarian Olivieh Salad, you can omit the meat from the recipe and mix the vegetables and eggs with mayonnaise. However, if you are vegan, you can delete the eggs, too. You may add some vegetable sauce to your taste instead of mayonnaise.
Serving style of Olivieh Salad:
Iranians serve this salad as the main course, appetizer, brunch, and finger food in parties and daily use. They usually pout the Olivieh paste in a flat dish and cover it with mayonnaise. Then they decorate it with ingredients, such as pickles, parsley, cherry tomatoes, and grind boid yolk.
Bread usually baguettes are served next to the dish, and everyone can make their Olivieh sandwich.
Sometimes, they put Olivieh in Baguettes and serve Olivier sandwich. The best drink next to Olivieh Salad are sodas such as kola.
A light soup can best accompany Olivieh Salad in serving a complete course.
What are the ingredients?
The ingredients contain a lot of items. The primary ingredient is potato. Other components are chicken, eggs, carrots, green peas, pickles, Mayonaise, salt, pepper and lemon juice. You can add lunch meat instead of chicken. It is also possible to combine both the chicken and lunch meat. Sometimes, they add lettuce to the ingredients, which I think makes a favourable taste.
To make Olivieh Salad, you have to boil the potato, egg, carrot and green peas. You need to cook the chicken very well. After these are cooked, you should peel the eggs, carrots and potatoes. Smash or chop the vegetables and egg into a bowl. Shred the chicken into the bowl. You can also chop the chicken in a mixer and then add it to the combination. If you are going to add lunch meat, you should dice it in very tiny pieces.
Dice the pickles into tiny pieces, too. Mix the ingredients well and add the mayonnaise. Then you should add some salt, lemon juice and pepper to adjust the taste. It is possible to chop the lettuce into it, too.
This recipe is adequate for four people. The preparation time is about 3 hours. You need to prepare baguettes to serve an Olivieh sandwich.
- 4 small potatoes
- 1 lb chicken or 1lb lunch meat ( or a mixture of half of each)
- 1 onion
- 2 eggs
- 2 carrots
- 10 dill pickles
- ½ cup green peas
- 2 cup mayonnaise
- 25 gr butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Cherry tomatoes and parsley for decorating the dish
- 4 french baguettes
- Cook the chicken with diced onion and salt and pepper until the meat falls apart.
- Cook vegetables and eggs in boiling water until they become completely soft.
- Shred the chicken in a bowl. If you are using lunchmeat, dice them in tiny shapes.
- Peel the potatoes and mash them. Add butter to them and let the butter melt with their heat.
- Peel the carrots and dice them in tiny ½ inch sizes.
- Peel the eggs and shred them into the bowl.
- Dice the pickles like carrots.
- Add boiled softened sweet green peas to the bowl.
- Mix the ingredients well.
- Add mayonnaise and lemon juice and mix it well with the composition.
- Taste your Olivieh and add salt, pepper, or lemon juice if needed.
- Pout the mixture into a tray or any flat dish and cover it with a tablespoon of mayonnaise.
- Decorate the dish with parsley, pickles, and tomatoes.
- For a better taste, keep the salad in the fridge for one hour before serving.
- You can add butter to carrots and green peas for a more delightful taste.
- You can ground the chicken after cooking for 2 or 3 times for an excellent texture in Olivieh .
- Cook carrots along with the chicken to prevent the chicken’s stink.
2 thoughts on “Olivieh Salad Recipe”
Your recipe is the greatest