Kuku sabzi (Persian Herb Frittata or Kookoo Sabzi, کوکو سبزی ) is the most famous dish of Kuku category in Persian cuisine. Kuku is a dish of battered eggs mixed with other ingredients such as vegetables, meat, herbs, and nuts. Kuku Sabzi is a mixture of eggs and herbs and some other ingredients.
You can use Kookoo Sabzi as a main dish, appetizer, brunch, or even breakfast. The food can be served both cold and warm. Mostly, Iranians eat Kookoo Sabzi with bread and especially, Lavash bread. However, you can eat Kuku Sabzi with rice or with no side dish at all.
You can use it as finger food in casual parties. Even as an appetizer, it is not considered an official dish. You can rarely find a Kookoo sabzi in a restaurant; it is often homemade.
Different types of Kuku Sabzi:
According to the herbs we use in Kookoo sabzi recipe, we can have lots of different kinds of Kuku sabzi. For example, we can cook it with only scallion green stems or only with spinach.
We can add dills, cilantro, and parsley to scallions or leeks.
Some people add barberries to it. You can find walnuts in some Kuku sabzis. Sometimes, we can combine it with other Kukus such as Kookoo Sibzamini (mashed potatoes Kuku) and have a new kind of Kookoo Sabzi.
Kuku Sabzi Nutrition facts:
Kookoo Sabzi contains many minerals and vitamins. It is a good source of iron and vitamins A, C, and E. Therefore, it is a potent antioxidant and saves the body against many diseases.
It is purifying and helps the vessels and the body’s general health. It is a cure for bloating. Moreover, its positive effect on high blood pressure and diabetes has been proved.
Kuku Sabzi Serving Style:
To serve Kookoo Sabzi, they usually cut it into smaller pieces (somehow like pizza). Actually, like Kotlet you need to make a sandwich made of Kookoo Sabzi, sliced tomatoes and pickles to get the best taste out of it. The best bread that Iranians usually use next to Kuku Sabzi is Lavash. Because its delicate texture best matches Kuku sabzi. You can use Sangak or any other type of bread. Nowadays it is typical to serve Kuku Sabzi on toasts as a portion of finger food in casual parties.
Kookoon Sabzi is the most well-known member of Persian cuisine’s vegetarian dishes. With entirely vegetarian sources. However, if you are vegan, you can omit the eggs and use something else to glue the ingredients together.
What are the ingredients?
The main ingredient is the egg. Herbs, mostly leeks or scallion’s green parts, are the most essential ingredients. Other herbs that Iranians add all of them or one of them to the scallions includes parsley, cilantro, and spinach. Flour is the other primary ingredient of Kookoo Sabzi. Some spices such as grind rose, and turmeric adds to the taste.
To prepare Kookoo Sabzi, you have to mix the battered egg with chopped herbs and flour and spices. Then flatten the mixture in a pan and fry them. It is a fast cook time food, and if your chopped herbs were ready, you could cook it in 15 minutes.
This recipe is adequate for Four people. The preparation time is about one hour, and the cooking time is about 25 minutes.
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoon flour
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ lb herbs (a mixture of green parts of scallion,parsley and spinach)
- 1 tablespoon grind rose
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 1 pinch ginger
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 tablespoon barberries (optional)
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Clean, wash, and dry the herbs.
- Chop the herbs completely.
- Batter the eggs in a bowl.
- Add the herbs to eggs and mix them well.
- Add flour and spices.
- Add walnuts and barberries.
- Pour three tablespoons of oil into a pan.
- Flatten the mixture in the pan and cook it for 15 minutes
- Move the pan away from heat for 10 minutes
- Flip the Kuku(using a tray) to cook the other side.
- Add the rest of the oil and fry the other side.
- Serve it with bread, sliced firm tomatoes, and pickles.
- Cover the lid of pan with a piece of cloth. This causes herbs to cook before frying.
- If you flip the mixture before cooling them, your Kuku can be cracked.
- To avoid breaking, it is crucial to completely dry the herbs before cooking.
- Heat the oil for 1 minute before cooking.