Kateh (کته) is a Persian rice dish. It is usually cooked in the north of Iran. Specialists claim that cooking rice in Kateh style saves most of the vitamins in it. It can best assist you in hosting an emergency Persian party. Iranians do not consider it as a formal food, and they do not even use it in simple parties. However, using it for the daily menu is very typical. In the north of Iran, it usually takes place even for Chelow. Kateh Kabab is one of the popular dishes in northern Iran.
What are the ingredients for Kateh:
The ingredients are straightforward. Rice, oil, water, and a little salt. The most handful of ingredients in the world. However, the type of rice you use is essential. I recommend you to use Persian Domsiah or Dudi rice. In case you do not have access to the Persian rice, you can cook your Kateh with Basmati rice.
Kateh Cooking process:
It is the easiest way of cooking rice and maybe the most natural Persian dish to prepare. For cooking it, you do NOT need to soak the rice despite Polo and Chelo. You should just wash the rice and then cook it with oil, water, and salt for one hour.
Rice is an excellent source for carbohydrates and vitamins, especially vitamin B. it is stated that using Kateh can be helpful for skin, hair, and nails. Moreover, it can help in gaining weight.
This dish is entirely vegetarian. If you are a vegetarian or vegan, you can confidently cook and eat it.
Kateh is an informal food, and it is not served in parties or ceremonies. Only in the north of Iran restaurants serve it. It best accompanies all stews and kebabs in Persian cuisine.
If you ask me, it is up to your taste. There is no MUST to eat stew with Chelow. You can use any Persian style cooked rice; you like best.
Recipe for Kateh:
This recipe is adequate for four people. The preparation time is about 10 minutes, and the cooking time is 1 hour.
- 4 cups Persian or Basmati rice
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups water
- Wash the rice for two or three times and rinse it.
- Pout the rice into a pot.
- Cover the rice with water.
- Add oil and salt and mix it with the rice.
- Let it cook for 1 hour until all the water is absorbed.
- Clarified butter makes tastier Kateh.
- No matter how much is the amount of your rice. To cook Kateh cover the rice with water up to one phalanx height and add some oil and salt.
- If you cook the last
- After one hour, pour some oil and brewed saffron to a pan and pout the mostly cooked rice into the pan. After 10 minutes flip the pan into a dish. You'll have a Kateh with saffron crunch rice crust.
One thought on “Kateh (Persian cooked rice) Recipe”
I was make it. It was so great.thanks