Gheymeh Nesar (Gheimeh Nesar, قیمه نثار) is a traditional Persian stew. Despite its name, it is entirely different from Gheimeh. Since Gheimeh’s main ingredient is split, chickpea is absent in Gheymeh Nesar’s recipe. It has originated in Qazvin, one of the central provinces of Iran. In the past, they served it at some official parties, such as wedding ceremonies. Nowadays, it is mostly served at casual parties and gatherings. In Qazvin, you can find it in restaurants, but in other cities, it is rare to find this food at restaurants.
Different types of Gheymeh Nesar:
Since Gheymeh Nesar is only typical in Qazvin, there are not many different types available. However, by making some changes in the ingredients, you can make differences. For example, some people do not use zests along with their stew. Moreover, it is possible to cook it with chicken or beef. You can also use ground beef or lamb and make meatballs(کوفته قلقلی).
Important Nutrition Facts of Gheymeh Nesar:
Gheymeh Nesar has about 500 Kcal per serving with Polo. It contains meat, which is an excellent source of protein and iron and can help prevent amenia. Moreover, rice is an excellent source of carbohydrates and vitamins; especially vitamin B. specialists recommend eating rice for skin and hair health. Barberries are an excellent source of antioxidants and can help the immune system of the body. Almonds are great to aid heart health, and pistachios are a natural drug for amenia. Overall, eating Gheymeh Nesar helps to prevent amenia and fortifies the immune system of the body.
Although the main ingredient of this food is meat, if you are a vegetarian, you can omit the meat. Though you can replace the meat with some other ingredients, such as beans, I recommend you not to. Because, by deleting the meat, the dish still has its delightful taste. However, beans may completely change the flavor. You may find some recipes suggesting Gheymeh Nesar with fava beans, but they may not be delicious as you wish.
Serving style of Gheymeh Nesar:
Iranians serve Gheymeh Nesar as the main course for dinner or lunch. It is usually served in family gatherings and casual parties. A light soup can be the right choice for an appetizer. Sabzi Khordan (سبزی خوردن), Shirazi Salad, Lettuce salad, and other green salads are welcomed next to Gheymeh Nesar. However, Torshi(ترشی) might not be the right choice because it adds to the sour taste of the stew. All drinks are welcomed next to this food. You can serve Doogh(Persian yogurt drink), soda or Sharbat (شربت) as a beverage.
What are the ingredients of Gheymeh Nesar?
The main ingredient is meat, usually lamb or beef. Other components are pistachio, almond, orange zest, and barberries. Moreover, we need some ingredients such as tomato paste, onion, saffron, and butter to make a sauce for meat. There are also some spices, including saffron, cardamom, turmeric, Advieh Poloyi, and salt. Adviyeh Poloyi includes spices such as rose, cinnamon, nutmeg, carawayseedOther ingredients are water, sugar, and vegetable oil. Furthermore, you need to prepare a dish of rice, usually Polow, to serve Gheymeh Nesar with. So rice is another ingredient you should consider.
Cooking process of Gheymeh Nesar:
To cook Ghymeh Nesar, you need to wash and dry the lamb and then cut it into 1-inch cubes. Then you ought to soak the almond and pistachio slices in some rose water. Slice and fry the onions until they become caramelized. Then add meat to the onions and wait until the meat’s color changes, then add the tomato paste. Next, add the Advieh Poloyi to the meat. Keep the pot on low heat during cooking to prevent the meat from distilling. Add water and wait until the meat makes chemistry with the sauce.
After you prepared the meat, it is time to make the Polo. Boil and rinse the rice after soaking, as mentioned in the Polo recipe. At this point, start to saute barberries, pistachios, and almonds with some butter and sugar. Then add the orange zests at final levels of cooking. While serving, you should place the meat, fried onions, and the garnish you made with almond, pistachio, and barberries on the Polo.
This recipe is adequate for four people. The preparation time is about 15 minutes, and the cooking time is about 3 hours. You need to prepare a dish of rice in Polo style to serve the Gheyme Nesar with it.
- 3 cup Persian or Basmati rice(for Polo)
- 1 lb lamb
- 1 big onion
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ cup liquid saffron
- 1 tablespoon grind cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon grind true cardamom
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon Advieh Poloyi (a mixture of grind rose, cinnamon, caraway seed, nutmeg, and green cardamom )
- 1 cup sliced pistachio
- 1 cup sliced almond
- ½ cup rose water
- 1 cup barberries
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 3 cup of water
- 2 oz butter
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon zest
- Wash and dry the lamb and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Slice the onions and fry them with oil until they become caramelized
- Saute the meat with half of the onions until the meat’s color changes. (keep half of the onions)
- Add tomato paste and salt and turmeric to the meat
- Add cinnamon grind and cardamom
- Soak the nuts with rose water
- Add water to the meat and let it cook well
- Prepare your rice while the meat is cooking
- Saute the rinsed nuts and barberries with butter and sugar.
- After 10 minutes, add the zest to barberry and nuts and turn off the heat.
- After the rice and meat cooked, pout the rice into a dish
- Mix two tablespoons of rice with saffron
- Place the meats on the rice
- Add the remained fried onions onto the rice
- Pout the garnish you made with nuts and barberries
- Pout the saffron mixed rice
- sprinkle the Advieh Poloyi on to the dish.
- Gheymeh Nesar’s meats should be cut tiny and in equal size.
- You can boil the orange zest in hot water for 10 minutes to avoid a bitter taste.
- You’d better add the sugar to your liking and adjust the sour flavor.
- Lavash is a right choice for a crust of the Polo you serve with Gheymeh Nesar.