Gheimeh (Gheimeh, Geymeh, قیمه) is one of the most popular and delicious Iranian stews. Many people believe that its the masterpiece of Persian cuisine since it has an irresistible melodious flavor that persuades anyone to repeat cooking and eating Gheimeh.
It is not precisely clear when was the first time that the creative and tasteful inventor of Gheimeh combined these charming ingredients and originated this masterpiece.
Jean Chardin mentioned Gheime in his diaries when he traveled to Iran in the eighth century. Moreover, some historians connect Gheymeh’s history to the Sasanian Empire, who ruled in Iran from 224 to 651 AD.
The only specified fact about Gheymeh is that it is related to Azeri (Turkish) parts of Iran because Gheimeh is the Azeri term for diced meat.
Additionally to its valuable place in Iranian’s daily diet, Gheimeh plays a significant role in Iranian ritual ceremonies catering. In some regions, it is typical to serve it at wedding parties, too. In the past, Gheime was the significant food at formal Iranian parties.
Gheimeh & its different types
There are more than 20 types of Gheymeh depend on the auxiliary ingredients added to principle ingredients (split chickpeas, lamb, saffron, tomato paste). Most popular side ingredients are potatoes, chefs add fried potatoes to the cooked Gheimeh, which makes it more tasteful.
The other popular side garnish is fried eggplants. Other garnishes that Iranians add to cooked Gheymeh are zucchini, carrot, sour green apples, dried plums, okra, grenadine, and nuts.
Depend on the region you eat the Gheimeh; you will have different garnishes on top of your stew. We will cover the most favorable types of recipes in detail in the future.
Like all other Persian stews(خورش) Gheymeh is mostly served with a dish of rice (Polow, Chelow or kate). Other side dishes that add to Gheimeh’s taste’s charm are Yoghurt, torshi(ترشی), sabzi Khordan(سبزی خوردن), mast o Khiar(ماست وخیار, Yoghurt with cucumbers and some other garnishes ) and salad Shirazi(سالاد شیرازی).
Gheimeh for Vegetarians
By omitting meat from the Gheymeh’s recipe, you can enjoy a 100% vegetarian meal. The split chickpeas, significant Gheimeh ingredients are a great source of vegetable protein. Furthermore, all the auxiliary garnishes mentioned before have a vegetable source. You can have a delicious meal with any of them.
Nutrition facts about Gheymeh
Gheymeh has 1.09 mg iron and 22.55 mg magnesium per 100 gr that helps to prevent anaemia.
Gheyme contains adequate amounts of vitamins A, E, and C that enhances the immune system of the body. Other advantages that body gains by eating Gheimeh are:
Preventing and resolving constipation, enhancing sith ability, aiding in stress reduction, and strengthing bones.
Gheymeh has 185 kc per 100 gr but since it is served usually with side garnishes and rice (Polow, Chelow, پلو,چلو) an average of 250 kc is added per 100 gr serving.
Let’s learn to cook Gheime. The preparation and cooking process is straightforward compared to the alluring taste the result has. Gheymeh has very simple ingredients that you can find easily.
This recipe is adequate for six people. It is served as a main course in lunch or dinner.
What are the ingredients?
Gheimeh’s main ingredients are split chickpeas. However, you can find Gheime with peas in some regions of Iran. For less bloating and better cooking you should soak the split chickpeas at least for five hours. Rinsing them 2 or 3 times while soaking adds to the cooking quality.
While cooking, you can add a pinch of caraway seed or cumin seed to avoid bloating.
Other primary ingredients are cubed stew lamb or beef. You can also use ground lamb or beef. Gheimeh with Ground meat is known as Gheime Baz in the north of Iran.
Dried limes or Limoo Amani is another primary ingredient of a traditional Persian Gheime. You have to evacuate its seeds before using to prevent a bitter taste. Moreover, you should pierce them with a fork or knife’s edge before adding to the dish. Otherwise, your dried limes will float on the stew.
Mostly the term Gheimeh symbolizes with juicy split chickpeas, cubed stew lambs, dried limes and fried potatoes in Iranian’s minds.
However, there are about twenty garnishes available next to split chickpeas and meat.
Other ingredients are tomato paste, saffron, turmeric, pepper and salt.
To cook Gheimeh, you have to wash and cut the meat into ten inches cubes. Then you saute them with onions and oil and let them strim with split chickpeas and water. You also add some spices such as saffron and turmeric. After they are well cooked (a little of water remains in the pot after cooking), add dried limes. After the combination mixed well, fry some potatoes and add it on top of the dish. You can add any other garnish such as fried eggplants.
Gheymeh is usually served with a dish of Persian style rice. For an ordinary daily serving use Polow(پلو) or Kateh(کته) and for a more presentable serving use Chelo(چلو).
- 1 lb cubed lamb or calf or any roasted meat
- 1 cup cleaned and washed yellow split chickpeas (soaked for one hour)
- 1 large chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste(رب گوجه فرنگی)
- 4 dried limes (limoo Amani, لیمو عمانی) also soaked for one hour
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 oz butter or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup brewed saffron
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper (add for taste)
- 2 potatoes sliced and fried as a garnish
- Wash and dry the meat. Cut it into 1-inch cubes.
- Pour the oil or melted butter into a pot and saute the onions and meat.
- Add the turmeric to the composition.
- Saute the split chickpeas with oil and add it to the compound.
- Cover the compound with water and add half of saffron and wait until it cooks in medium or low heat.
- After the meat and split chickpeas cooked at a medium rate, dry the limes and pierce them, then add them.
- Add lemon juice salt and pepper depend on your taste.
- Add the rest of the brewed saffron after turning off the heat for better smell and appearance.
- Put the fried potatoes on top of your stew while serving.
- After 2-2.5 hours, your gheymeh is ready. Enjoy it.
- Use gee- clarified butter instead of oil for a more delicious taste.
- Rinse and resoak the split peas 2-3 time during the soaking period for less bloating
- Separate dried limes seeds to prevent any bitter flavor.
- Do not add lemons or spices before the meat is mostly cooked. It will obstacle meat’s cooking.
- You can use ground meat (goosht charkh karde, گوشت چرخ کرده ) instead of beef .in that condition you will have a Gheymeh ye baz (قیمه ی باز)