Fried Onions (پیاز داغ) is a kind of dish that we can use it as an essential ingredient in various recipes or as topping and dressing. You can`t imagine how delicious it is or how much it makes the meals. Also, the sound of crispy fried Onion when it wheezes under the teeth is so pleasant. Even the smell of it causes us to desire a delicious food. Fried Onion is a critical ingredient in some recipes such as Ash-e-Kashk, Biryani, Adasi, all kinds of Boranies, and we almost use it for topping off any dishes.
Important Nutrition facts:
everyone knows that all kinds of vegetable have a vital role in our body`s health. It includes Fried Onion, too. This vegetable is a member of the Allium genus of flowering plants. Other members of this family are shallots, garlic, leeks, and chives. This family is an essential source of vitamins, minerals, and other potent plant compounds that could improve body health in various ways. Our ancients recognized this fact and used Onion and its family to cure the ailments like headaches, mouth sores, and so on.
The amount of vitamin C in Onion helps the body to absorb iron better as well as it has an essential role in the immune system, making collagen production and tissue repair. The antioxidant properties of Onion protect the body`s cells against free radicals which are unstable molecules and can damage them a lot. Also, it fights against inflammation and decreases triglycerides and cholesterol levels. As a result, it reduces heart disease in this way.
Onion is also a rich source of vitamin B with the essential role in metabolism, red blood cell production, and nerve function. Some research has shown that Onion has antibacterial properties and can fight against dangerous types like Escherichia coli (E.coli), Staphylococcus aureus (S. aureus), and Bacillus cereus.
Fried Onions has a high calorie with 258 calories per 100 gr. Also, its properties include sodium with 246mg per 100gr, potassium 190mg per 100gr, calcium 4% per 100gr. Its total carbohydrate contains 31gr per 100, as well. Fried Onion is a rich source of Dietary fibre with 2.8gr and protein with 3.2gr per 100 gr.
The last thing to say is then never forgetting to use Onion, whether fried or raw one. Remember that if you don’t use a vegetable or olive oil in frying Onion, it will be very harmful to everyone, especially for those with heart diseases and high cholesterol in the blood.
Different kinds of Fried Onions:
Different recipes make various kinds of fried Onion such as fry and bake, in the oven, deep-fry, boil, and deep-fry, and sautéed one. All of these methods make fried Onion with different color and texture. Some of them make soft types, and others make crispy types. It depends on your taste and preference to prepare which one.
Fried Onion has a crucial role in tasting and flavoring the vegetarian diet while an omnivorous makes a delicious taste in almost every meal by use of meat stock. But vegetarian and vegan can make it by using fried Onion.
Serving style of Fried Onions:
As mentioned earlier, we can use fried Onion as a vital ingredient in every recipe such as Boranies, Adasi, in almost every the stew (Khoresht), or as a sweet topping in Ashe Kashk, Zeresh Polo, Adasi, and so on.
What are the ingredients of Fried Onions?
Fried Onion has an easy recipe. Although a package of it is not very pricy and you can offer it easily, but there is an incomparable charm to make it and enjoy your own homemade crispy and crunchy fried Onion with pride. The ingredients are buttermilk, all-purpose flour, some flavorings such as salt, pepper, onion, and pinch garlic powder and vegetable oil.
How to cook Fried Onions?
It is so easy that you just need to follow the steps simply. At first, you should wash the Onion and peel it. After that, you should slice it. Then you need to soak Onion in buttermilk. Meanwhile, you can prepare your mixture. So you should grab a separate bowl and pour all-purpose flour in it. Then you should add the spice and flavorings like salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder to it. Of course, the seasonings you add are an option and depend on your taste. Then you should mix them well. Now you should grab a handful of Onion with your fingers.
First, you should shake the excess buttermilk off, and then you have to toss them in the mixed flour until it gets coated fully. You need to repeat it for the remaining Onion. Next, you must heat the vegetable onion, and when it gets hot enough add tossed Onion in it. You should stir them gently until it turns to golden. You should repeat these steps for the remaining Onion again. Finely, you should gather it and place it on a kitchen paper to drain excess oil. It is ready to use. But if you want to store it for a few days, you can place them in an airtight container and refrigerate it.
This recipe is adequate for four people. But if you want to store it, you can make it with more ingredients. The preparation time to make fried Onion is 10 minutes, and its cooking time is 30 minutes.
- 2 large onion
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- teaspoon salt
- teaspoon pepper
- teaspoon garlic powder
- teaspoon onion powder
- Vegetable onion as much as you need for frying
- Wash the onions and dry them thoroughly.
- Peel them and slice them.
- Soak sliced onions in the buttermilk for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the flour. Grab a medium-size bowl and Pour the all-purpose flour in it. Add the seasoning such as salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Whisk it to combine thoroughly.
- Grab a handful of Onion with your fingers. Shake them to remove excess buttermilk and toss them in the flour mixture until them to coat thoroughly.
- Repeat steps 4 to 6 for remaining onions.
- Pour the vegetable oil in a frying pan and heat it until it shimmers.
- Grab a handful of coated Onion and add them to it. Fry until they turn to golden. It lasts for about 5 minutes.
- Gather the fried Onion and place them on the kitchen paper to remove and drain excess oil.
- Repeat steps 9 and 10 for remaining coated onions.
- Fried Onion is ready to use.
- If you want to store it, place it in an airtight container, and refrigerate it.
- Remember to never use a high flame to fry Onion because it may turn darker and lose its flavor. You may also smell, and taste, such as it has burnt.
- If you want to use it for topping, use the white Onion. Its color is more beautiful. You can also use some saffron for a better tone.