Faloodeh (فالوده) is a kind of sweet, crunchy, and tart noodle sorbet that is one of the oldest frozen dissert in Iran. It is one of the most delicious desserts, unlike anything else with thin vermicelli noodles that are served with frozen sugar syrup infused with rose water and other fruit juice. Faloodeh’s history dates back to 400 BC. The ancient made snow cone and poured some grape juice on it and make themselves cool off with that dissert. Many years later, they made some changes in snow cone dissert and created Faloodeh. Its place of origin is Shiraz, and it is famous as Shirazi Faloodeh. Of course, it is well-known in all over Iran’s cities that have humid and dry weather such as Tabriz, especially in summer days.
In a hot and dry climate such as Shiraz, a cold sweet dissert is essential surly. For keeping the frozen dessert such as Faloodeh, Bastani (Ice cream), and other kinds of sorbet cold, Iranian engineers have invented a type of large, domed icehouse and named it “Yakhchal” to keep thing cold and prevent them melting.
There is another dessert that its pronunciation is very similar to Faloodeh. It is Pallodeh that is a milk-shake-like cousin, and it is widespread throughout South Asia. But some people know it as a second pronunciation for Faloodeh. People created it when Mughal’s empire brought Faloodeh with themselves to India in the 16th century. So stop to confuse it with Faloodeh.
It is so prevalent in Iran that you can find it in every coffee shop and ice cream parlors. Out of Iran, you can also find Faloodeh in Iranian diaspora restaurants and grocery stores. If you taste it one time, you will never forget its unusual texture, sweet flavor, and cooling properties and it will be one of your instant favorites for hot, dry days of summer.
Different types of Faloodeh:
As it is trendy, and you can find it in every city so that it will have different recipes. But all of them will quid to a similar dissert with various taste according to their ingredients. Some people like it with the feeling of Saffron but some others like the vanilla taste. Some like to have it with berries or cherries syrup, some other like grape syrup or lime juice. And some people like fresh mint or crush pistachios on top but others like it simple.
Important Nutrition facts of Faloodeh:
One serving size of Faloodeh is almost 3.8oz (108gr) that has 227 calories. Faloodeh is high in sugar with 33.3gr per 108 gr and also has a high amount of cholesterol with 37.4gr per 108gr. The number of carbohydrates and fats is 37.4gr and 9.1gr per 108gr, respectively. It is a delight dessert in hot summer day that include sodium with 5mg and protein 0.1g per 108gr.
Faloodeh recipe is available and suitable for vegetarians. But if a vegan wants to taste it, they should remove the ice-cream from combinations because of some ingredients such as egg and ghee in ice-cream.
Serving style of Faloodeh:
We usually serve Faloodeh alongside Persian-style dairy-based ice-cream as we top and flavor it with pistachios, honey, lime or lemon juice, sweet cherry syrup, or even berries syrup, and fresh mint. We can also dye it with Saffron that is an exotic spice and makes a subtle yellow color and undetectable floral flavor.
If you want to make a big hit in the birthday parties or a romantic meal for your family, serve it in a glass container or glass with a base so that the contents of them are visible when the noodles are seared in a mixture of ice-cream and syrup.
What are the ingredients?
Faloodeh’s recipe is an easy but consuming time one. The ingredients that you will need are rice vermicelli noodles, sugar, lime juice, rose water, sour cherry syrup, pistachios, water, and dairy-based ice-cream. For making a beautiful golden yellow, you can add some saffron to the recipe.
How to make Faloodeh?
At first step, you should prepare the noodles that it involves soaking the noodles in boiling water for 5 minutes, draining them, and refrigerating them to chill. Meanwhile, you need to make the Faloodeh’s syrup. So you should pour some water in a saucepan and add sugar. Then you should put it on a low heat and stir it until sugar dissolves thoroughly. After dissolving sugar, you need to set aside the saucepan and let it cools down. After cooling the sugar mixture, you should add Saffron, rose water, lime juice to it, and stir until you have a smooth mixture. Now you have to pour the mixture into an ice cube tray and put it in the freezer for at least two hours. You should let them chill until frozen.
After two hours bring the ice cube out of the freezer and pour them into the blender and crush them but be careful that don’t allow them to melt. It is time to combine the vermicelli and crushed ice. After blending, you should return it to the freezer for another fifteen minutes. Now you can divide it four parts and pour to serving glass containers. Finely you can top and dress them with sour cherry syrup and crushed pistachios immediately before it starts to melt. After place the ice-cream beside it, you can serve your dessert.
This recipe is adequate for four people. The preparation time of Faloodeh is 10-15 minutes. Its cooking time is 10 minutes. Also, it needs freezing time that is 120 minutes.
- 1.8 oz rice vermicelli noodles
- 5½ oz sugar
- 500 ml water
- 60 ml juice
- 2 tablespoon rose water
- 80 ml sour cherry syrup
- 1 teaspoon brewed Saffron
- Pistachios as much as you need
- Ice-cream as much as you like to add to your dessert
- Pour water in the pan and heat it to boil it.
- Add rice vermicelli to it. Soak them in the boiled water for 5 minutes.
- Drain the vermicelli. Put them in the refrigerator until they chill.
- Meanwhile, make its syrup.
- Grab a suitable-size pan. Pour the water in it. Add the sugar. Put it on a low flame. Stir it until sugar dissolves thoroughly.
- Put it aside until cool down. It takes almost 5 minutes.
- Add lime juice, rose water, brewed Saffron to sugar water, and stir it well until you have a smooth mixture.
- Pour the mixture in the ice cube tray. Put it in the freezer. Allow them to chill until frozen completely. It takes about two hours.
- After two hours, bring them out of the fridge. Pour them in the blender and crush them. You should be fast before they start to melt.
- Combine the crushed ice and vermicelli. Return it to the freezer for more than 15 minutes.
- Bring it out of the fridge.
- Divide it into four parts. Pour them into the serving glass container.
- Garnish them with crush pistachios and sour cherry syrup.
- Place ice-cream as much as you like besides your dissert.
- It is ready to serve.
- You can replace the food dye color with Saffron. So you will have various colors that are more pleasant for children.
- You can replace orange blossom water with rose water.