Cake Yazdi(Yazdi cake, کیک یزدی) is a traditional Persian cupcake. It has originated in Yazd, one of the central provinces of Iran.
Nowadays, it is cooked all over Iran, and it is one of the best sellers in Iranian confectionaries. Most of Iranians have the experience of eating Yazdi cake with its parchment as a child. We can claim that cake Yazdi is the most known and best-sold pastry all over Iran. Although it was originated in Yazd, soon, it paved its way to all cities around Iran. Nowadays, you can find different tastes of Cake Yazdi in different cities. Iranians use it as a brunch next to a cup of tea. It is a great choice for hosting an evening gathering or starting any party. It is welcomed in every catering’s pastry menu.
In Yazd, people mostly serve it in ritual and religious ceremonies. Although it is very popular and favorited among Iranians, they don’t use it in official ceremonies, such as a wedding party.
Different types of Cake Yazdi:
Indeed, there are no different types of Cake Yazdi, officially. However, you can experience different flavors in different cities and at different confectionaries! For instance, one might omit the bicarbonate sodium from the ingredients since that is a chemical element. Or one might like to add raisins to it, like the confectionaries in Tabriz. A little change in the recipe can make a different flavor. However, because the main ingredients are the same, it doesn’t make a new type of this cupcake.
Important nutrition facts of Cake Yazdi:
We are talking about cake and pastries, so we should expect a high calorie. This cake has about 240 kcal per 100gr. Because of the flour, it contains a notable amount of carbohydrates. But like all other cakes, it has a considerable amount of sugar and cholesterol. It contains a lot of nutritions, such as potassium, sodium, and calcium. With 446mg sodium per 100gr and 48mg calcium per 100gr, you can count on this cake for supporting your body’s minerals.
This cake has a completely vegetarian recipe. However, if you are vegan, you need to change the yogurt and eggs with vegetable sources. Like most cakes, Cake Yazdi is a completely vegetarian cupcake.
Serving style of Cake Yazdi:
Iranians serve these cupcakes as brunch or when hosting a home party. It is an excellent choice for starting a casual party or gathering with your friends. A cup of drink can add to the delightfulness of Yazdi cake. You can serve it with a cup of coffee, milk, juice, or a cup of tea. Iranians mostly serve it with hot drinks and more commonly with black tea. You can place and decorate it in a dish like all other cupcakes.
What are the ingredients?
Like all other cakes, the main ingredient of Cake Yazdi is flour. Other ingredients are the known ingredients of the bakery: eggs, dairy, flour, oil, and some other elements. In the original recipe of this cakei, we use yogurt. However, like all the cakes, some people use milk instead of yogurt for Yazdi Cake. You should notice that yogurt creates a more similar texture and taste to confectionary baked cakes. We are baking a cake, so sugar is an essential ingredient of our recipe. Moreover, rose water, cardamom grind, baking powder, vanilla and, sodium bicarbonate are some ingredients that you need for baking these Persian cupcakes.
Cooking process of Cake Yazdi:
To cook Cake Yazdi, first, you need to batter the eggs in a bowl with vanilla. You should continue battering until there is a layer of bubbles on the mixture. Then you add the sugar; this time, you mix it with a mixer until the color changes to creme. Next, you should add the yogurt, oil, cardamom, and rose juice. After all the ingredients mixed well ad made chemistry, it is time to add flour. You must add flour gradually, to avoid flour nods. Like all cupcakes, an essential component of baking Yazdi Cake is the parchment capsule. So at this point, you need to place your parchments inside a muffin baking pot and pour a sufficient amount of the mixture inside those capsule parchments.
This recipe is adequate for 5-15 people. You can create 15 Cake Yazdi, using this recipe. The preparation time for this recipe is 30 minutes, and the cooking time is 30 minutes. You need to wait for 2 hours for cooling the cakes before serve.
- 7 oz flour
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup of sugar
- ½ cup of yogurt
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon rose water
- 1 teaspoon cardamom grind
- 2 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoon bicarbonate sodium (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla grind (or liquid)
- Break the eggs into a bowl and batter them well with the vanilla
- Add sugar to the mixture and mix them until the composition’s color becomes creme.
- Add yogurt
- Add cardamom grind and vegetable oil
- Bolt the flour 2 or 3 times
- Mix the baking powder and bicarbonate sodium with flour
- Add the flour gradually and mix it well to avoid flour nods
- Place the parchment capsules inside a muffin pot or any other pot you chose.
- Fill half of the capsules with the mixture
- Heat the oven up to 200’ centigrade and bake the cakes for 30 minutes
- You can fry top of your cakes for 2 minutes
- Try to make your ingredients isotherm before you start to bake. For example, take out yogurt and eggs from the fridge.
- Although bicarbonate sodium (جوش شیرین) is a chemical component, it is effective in the flavor
- Heat your oven beforehand for 15 minutes.
- In Yazd, they use fruit sugar instead of regular sugar for baking this cake.
- You can omit the parchment capsule and bake it directly in a muffin shape pot.
- Do not fill your capsules more than half, because of the baking powder cause enlargement in the size of cake while cooking.